Cultrex® Stem Cell Qualified Human Fibronectin, Pathclear® is purified from human plasma and is Pathclear® certified to be free of common pathogens. Fibronectin is an extracellular matrix protein that is found abundantly in blood and connective tissues. These matrices are associated with the epithelial to mesenchymal transition of metastatic cells, including tumor cells with stem cell-like properties. Fibronectin performs essential functions in collagen fibrillogenesis, as either a general cell adhesion molecule or a modulator in binding between cell surfaces and the extracellular matrix. Fibronectin matrix assembly is essential for normal vertebrate development and apparently contributes to the generation of tumor metastases by supporting the establishment and persistence of pre-metastatic niches. Fibronectin is secreted as a disulfide-linked dimer of 230-270 kDa, comprised of three types of repeating modules that mediate interactions with extracellular matrix components (including fibronectin itself), and cells via integrins and other fibronectin receptors. Thus, fibronectin can be used for coating tissue culture surfaces or as a medium additive to promote cell adhesion and proliferation; it is 0.2 μm sterile filtered.
Cultrex® Stem Cell Qualified Human Fibronectin, Pathclear® is a purified plasma extracellular matrix protein that has been developed, produced and qualified specifically to provide a functionally defined and effective feeder-free surface for the attachment and maintenance of embryonic stem cells in a pluripotent state
Quality control specifications:
- PathClear® – tested negative for eight human pathogenic viruses including Hepatitis A, B and C, HIV 1 and 2, Hantaan, Seoul, and Sin Nombre by PCR.
- No bacterial or fungal growth detected after incubation at 37°C for 14 days following USP sterility testing guidelines.
- Endotoxin concentration ≤ 20 EU/ml by Limulus Amoebocyte Lysate (LAL) assay.
- Protein concentration of 1 mg/ml.
- No mycoplasma contamination detected by PCR.
- Provided in 100 mM CAPS, 150 mM NaCl, 1 mM CaCI2, pH 11.5.
- Purity ≥90% (SDS-PAGE).
- Biological activity determined for each lot:
- Promotes the attachment of human iPSCs.
- Effectively maintains human iPSCs in a pluripotent state in a feeder-free culture.
Although Cultrex® Stem Cell Qualified Human Fibronectin, PathClear® has been tested for the viruses above it contains human source material and therefore should be treated as potentially infectious and handled at the Biological Safety Level 2 to minimize exposure.