Cultrex® Human Vitronectin, Pathclear® is purified from human plasma and is Pathclear® certified to be free of common pathogens. Vitronectin is an extracellular, soluble, disulfide-linked dimer, composed of a 75 kDa and a 65 kDa peptide chain with a total molecular weight of 140 kDa. Vitronectin is a major plasma glycoprotein that promotes cellular adhesion and spreading. It also inhibits the membrane damaging effect of the terminal cytolytic complement pathway and binds to several serpin serine protease inhibitors. Vitronectin, along with collagen IV, fibronectin, and laminin can support robust, long term proliferation of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Vitronectin can be used for coating tissue culture surfaces to promote cell adhesion, proliferation and differentiation, or as an additive for serum-free media. Vitronectin is purified from human plasma and is 0.2 μm sterile filtered.
Cultrex® Human Vitronectin, Pathclear® is a purified plasma extracellular matrix protein that has been developed, produced and qualified specifically for cell culture studies where the presence of pathogens may cause concern.
Quality control specifications:
- PathClear® – tested negative for eight human pathogenic viruses including Hepatitis A, B and C, HIV 1 and 2, Hantaan, Seoul, and Sin Nombre by PCR.
- No bacterial or fungal growth detected after incubation at 37°C for 14 days following USP sterility testing guidelines.
- Endotoxin concentration ≤ 20 EU/ml by Limulus Amoebocyte Lysate (LAL) assay.
- Protein concentration of 1 mg/ml.
- No mycoplasma contamination detected by PCR.
- Provided in 10 mM Sodium Phosphate, pH 7.7, 8M Urea, 5 mM EDTA, 500 mM NaCl.
- Purity ≥90% (SDS-PAGE).
- Biological activity determined for each lot:
- Cell Attachment: Tested for the ability to promote cell attachment and spreading of HT1080 human fibrosarcoma cells.
Although Cultrex® Human Vitronectin, PathClear® has been tested for the viruses above it contains human source material and therefore should be treated as potentially infectious and handled at the Biological Safety Level 2 to minimize exposure.