Cultrex® Basement Membrane Extract (BME) is a soluble form of basement membrane purified from Engelbreth-Holm-Swarm (EHS) tumor. This extract provides a natural extracellular matrix hydrogel that polymerizes at 37°C to form a reconstituted basement membrane. Basement membranes are continuous sheets of specialized extracellular matrix that form an interface between endothelial, epithelial, muscle, or neuronal cells and their adjacent stroma and that play an essential role in tissue organization by influencing cell adhesion, migration, proliferation, and differentiation. The major components of BME include laminin, collagen IV, entactin, and heparan sulfate proteoglycans.
Cultrex® RGF BME Type R1 is a Basement Membrane Matrix that has been developed, produced and qualified specifically for difficult organoid cultures. Cultrex® RGF BME Type R1 is processed to reduce matrix-associated growth factors and provide a more defined model system.
Quality control specifications:
- Mouse colonies are routinely screened for pathogens using mouse antibody production (MAP) testing.
- Engelbreth-Holm-Swarm (EHS) tumor is LDEV-free.
- PathClear® – tested negative by PCR for 17 bacterial and virus strains typically included in mouse antibody production (MAP) testing, plus 13 additional murine infectious agents including LDEV, for a total of 31 organisms and viruses.
- No bacterial or fungal growth detected after incubation at 37°C for 14 days following USP sterility testing guidelines.
- Endotoxin concentration ≤ 8 EU/ml by Limulus Amoebocyte Lysate (LAL) assay.
- Protein concentration of 12 – 18 mg/ml.
- No mycoplasma contamination detected by PCR.
- Provided in Dulbecco’s Modified Eagle’s medium (DMEM) without phenol red, with 10 µg/ml gentamicin sulfate.
- Gel stability tested for a period of 14 days at 37°C.
- Entactin content ≥ 8%.
- Biological activity determined for each lot:
- Tube formation assay – BME promotes formation of capillary-like structures by human (HBMVEC; HUVEC) or mouse (SVEC4-10) endothelial cells.
- Organoid culture: Basement Membrane Extract promotes growth and expansion of mouse small intestine organoid progenitor cells.